Acceptable Use Policy (Remote Learning)
Innocent Hearts Secondary School provides online resources for the use of students, and teachers through online courses, resources, training that includes but not limited to all material that is accessed through any electronic devices or telecommunications network.
All policies, procedures, and codes of behavior of the school apply to those using online systems and resources provided by the school. The Code of Online Conduct pertains to the use of online systems and resources. This Code has been prepared to protect the rights and safety of all stakeholders.
The school reserves the right to monitor the use of online resources and learning tools by all that access the systems.
Individual Safety Rules
- Never reveal information about your personal identity (such as your name, address, phone number, age, physical description or school) to strangers whom you may encounter online. Likewise, do not reveal such information in a public online forum where you may not know everyone who might see the information.
- Never reveal personal information online about someone else unless you have their prior permission and you know the information will not be used for harmful purposes.
- Never reveal your access password or that of anyone else.
- Never send a picture of yourself, another person, or a group over an electronic network without prior informed permission of all the individuals involved and, in the case of minors, their parents or guardians.
- Report immediately to a teacher any message or request that you receive that bothers you or that suggests personal contact with you.
- Never publish the specific dates, times, and locations of field trips to people who are not directly entitled to such information or to public forums where unknown persons might access the information.
Unacceptable Sites and Materials
On a global network such as the Internet it is impossible to effectively control the content of the information. On occasion, users of online systems may encounter material that is controversial and which other users, parents or staff might consider inappropriate or offensive. It is the responsibility of the individual user not to intentionally access such material. If such material is accessed by accident, the incident must be reported immediately to a teacher or appropriate authority.
Users of the IH Online systems will not knowingly access, upload, download, store, display, distribute or publish any information that:
- is illegal or that advocates illegal acts or facilitates unlawful activity
threatens or intimidates any person or suggests violence, hatred or discrimination toward other people
- uses inappropriate and/or abusive language or conduct
- contains inappropriate religious or political messages
- violates or infringes the rights of any other person according to the IH policies, Ministry of Education policies, the Ontario Human Rights Code, or the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
- is racially, culturally or religiously offensive
- encourages the use of controlled substances, participation in an illegal act or uses the system to incite criminal actions
- is of a defamatory, abusive, obscene, profane, pornographic or sexually explicit nature
- contains personal information , images, or signatures of individuals without their prior informed consent
- constitutes messages of sexual harassment or which contains inappropriate romantic overtones
- solicits any users on behalf of any business or commercial organization without appropriate authorization
- supports bulk mail, junk mail or “spamming”
- propagates chain letters, or other e-mail debris
- Attempts to hide, disguise or misrepresent the identity of the sender.
IH Use Guidelines
All users of IH online systems will:
- Report to an appropriate authority any harm to the system or to information on the system whether that harm has been caused accidentally or intentionally.